Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Mother's Day gift to you - A favorite recipe

I LOVE trying new recipes!  When Scott and I were first married, I only had a few.  Generally, it was roast, spaghetti, tacos, and umm... oh steak!  Can you tell I grew up on a farm that had lots of beef?  Honestly, I had no idea how much meat cost, nor how to go about picking out the best cuts, etc, when we first got married.  I had always just gone to the freezer to grab the cut of meat that Mom needed.  I have learned A LOT about cooking and shopping since then.

Anyhow, I started trying new recipes early on, considering that Scott got tired of spaghetti and tacos early on, and then banned my beloved Hamburger Helper meals.  Following is one of my favorite, though maybe not healthiest, recipes.  I like to use a roasting hen for this one.  I put it in the crock pot on day 1 with celery, onion, poultry seasoning, and a little (maybe a cup) water, on low for about 6 hours.  We have 'roasted' chicken for supper that evening, then I use the leftover chicken for this recipe on day 2.


Creamed Chicken and Biscuits

1/2 large onion
1 1/2 teaspoon butter
4 cups shredded or chunky chicken, cooked
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
6 biscuits (I use all 8 that are usually in the can)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350'F.
Saute the onion in the butter.  Combine onion, chicken, milk, sour cream, and cream of chicken soup in mixing bowl.  Spoon into greased 11 x 7 dish (again, to use all 8 biscuits, you need 11 x 13 dish.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Sprinkle w 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese.  Arrange biscuits in single layer over top, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake approximately 20 minutes more, until biscuits are golden.  

No comments:

Post a Comment