Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gratituesday: My Mother's Day

This Mother's day seems to have been most memorable.  Honestly, I can't remember many Mother's Days.  I know we celebrated, that there were cards, pictures, dinners, etc., but they just weren't all that memorable.  This year was memorable.  We spent it together.  As a family.  We worked together, and we played together.  And I thoroughly enjoyed it! 

We began by attending church together.  This week was family worship, and I love having all the children sitting with their families.  It's just fun.  Usually, I make sure I have my 'survival bag', armed with snacks and activities, but we didn't bring it this week, and the girls were so well behaved.  The church gave out carnations to all of the mothers.  I mention this because of what happened at this time.  The pastor was asking for the kids the children's pastor had asked to help pass out the flowers to come down, but apparently my girls misunderstood what he was asking, and they joined the others.  So they helped pass out flowers also.  I think at first, Bella thought she was bringing 3 or 4 flowers to me, and was very proud of herself, but I had to explain that she needed to go give them to all the other mothers as well.  So both girls passed out flowers.

Also, our pastor's wife spoke at the service.  She used a scripture that really spoke to me, Jeremiah 17:5-8.  I think it impacted me more because of the liberty she took to replace man with woman, etc.  She read it as follows:

This is what the LORD says: 
      "Cursed is the woman who trusts in man, 
        who depends on flesh for her strength
        and whose heart turns away from the LORD.
     She will be like a bush in the wastelands;
        she will not see prosperity when it comes.  
     She will dwell in the parched places of the desert, 
        in a salt land where no one lives. 

     But blessed is the woman who trusts in the LORD, 
       whose confidence is in him.
     She will be like a tree planted by the water
       that sends out its roots by the stream.
     She does not fear when heat comes; 
       its leaves are always green.
     It has no worries in a year of drought
       and never fails to bear fruit."



Scott decided he was going to do lunch for everyone.  The menu included:






and strawberry feta salad with homemade dressing. We all pitched in to get dinner made.  It was fun!


The girls got the spinach torn for the salad, Scott did the steaks, and I chopped whatever needed to be chopped.  The dinner was de. lic. ious.  I could have sat and ate ALL DAY.  In fact, I had the same meal for lunch on Monday. 

Also, in between cooking, we attempted a family picture.  (I was going to show you all of the attempts, or at least the best of the worst, but nothing is cooperating with me, so I'll just show you the best one.)  We have trouble getting a good picture, usually because Bianca has an interesting 'pirate' face that she makes when she's trying to smile.  She's getting better, but its still an interesting face (as you can see in the above photo!).  This time, it was because Bella thought it was too bright outside to actually open her eyes.  Its not the best, but I'll take what I can get!

Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you had such an inspirational and delightful day. Mine was less-than-perfect w/ hubby away for work and son being very challenging most of the day, and especially at church, but still blessed - especially w/ a little lesson from my daughter, which i wrote about at http://traininghappyhearts.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-deal-with-non-compliance-lesson.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    Thanks for sharing your Mother's Day with me. Your girls are adorable and the meal looked delicious. I was also from a family of six, although I was the second to the oldest, not the oldest. I just noticed you are expecting a boy. Congratulations!
    Cheers,
    Shanae

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and delicious looking lunch! I'm impressed that your girls sat so well through the service. My two little boys are 7 and 9 years old and they still have a hard time with that.

    ReplyDelete