A few weeks after Christmas, I found a ham on sale at Aldi. I LOVE
Aldi. (We'll hit on that later this week, but I can feel my grocery
budget stretching just by walking through the doors of that place!)
Anyway, back to the ham,
I cooked it for supper a few weeks ago. And froze the leftover ham. I
think it was an 8 pounder; so far, it has fed us for 2 meals, I blessed
my MIL with some (its her fave!), and it was a part of the meal for the
family with the new baby.
Here's how I cooked it (Thank you Dawn
Reynolds and my Mother for sharing their recipes! I used information
from both to cook this ham, since I didn't have some other items on
hand):
Ingredients:
Ham
Brown sugar
Sliced Pineapple, canned
Begin
with a thawed ham in a roasting pan. Poke the ham with a toothpick.
Combine 1 cup of brown sugar with the juice from the pineapple can and
pour it over the ham. Using toothpicks, 'pin' pineapple rings on the
ham. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes per pound. (If its
sliced, its supposed to be a little less)
So that was a meal in itself for us (with leftovers, obviously).
The second meal we had was a recipe I got from Heavenly Homemakers (LOVE that site. If you are looking for new recipes, I would recommend anything over there!).
It was Ham with Scalloped Potatoes.
I've
never made anything with a homemade cream sauce, and, while I had my
doubts, it turned out delicious! (The whole time I was trying to think of what I would
make if it didn't turn out, seeing as how I was planning to take a
recipe I had never made to a family I had never met!)
You can find the recipe for that here.
I adjusted it because I wasn't sure the pineapple/brown sugar cured ham
would mess with the taste of the potatoes, so I warmed the ham
separately.
The meal was very inexpensive, as a 5 lb bag of large
Idaho potatoes cost only $2.69, and I used 4 potatoes (They were large), and the ham has made 3.5
meals and I'm not done with that yet. I had everything else on hand
already. That doesn't make it less expensive, but it helps!
We'll do a shopping list breakdown later this week for our meals.
On the menu for tonight, Spaghetti, of course. I'm using this recipe from Keeper of the Home for the spaghetti sauce. Wish me luck!
You can use a homemade white sauce for lots of things! I used it this week to make tuna noodle casserole (could have been cream of mushroom soup, but I left the mushrooms out for my boys). It's also a great breakfast comfort food served with chopped hard-boiled eggs mixed in over toast or biscuits.
ReplyDeleteChristy @ Raising Knights
Thanks for the advice, Christy! I need to do more with it. I'll have to try some more of recipes with homemade sauce and see if anyone notices. :)
Delete