I have never given anything up before for Lent. I'm not sure why, I just never had the desire or feel that this was something I should be doing. However, this year, I feel that I need to observe this season. And I'm sort of doing it in my own way. Rather than give up something, I want to add something that will help me to grow in my spiritual life. I've decided to memorize scripture. Its something I've always wanted to do, started to do, but have never been very successful at completing. I have difficulty with follow through sometimes. Okay, a lot. But I want to do this. And I'm going to encourage my girls in this also. Actually, we may just make it a family affair. I'm going to start with the schedule that my Hello Mornings group is on. I'll tell you about that group another time, but we are individually together doing a Bible study, and there is a weekly memory verse to go with each week. Since we are on week 6, and I have not memorized any of the verses yet, that should keep me busy for a bit. We'll be starting with Psalm 1:1-2...
1 Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
I am also going to be starting a more focused Bible study. I'm thinking of studying David, and using Beth Moore's 90 day study. I haven't purchased the book yet. I'm trying to wait until I get another swag buck gift card. (you should check it out. So far, I've gotten $35 in gift cards to Amazon just for using the search engine!) I just cashed in my points for one. That way, I can get it for free!
So what are you doing in your life to observe Lent? How are you drawing nearer to your Lord? Leave a comment with what you think about Lent, whether you observe it or not.
Before going to LHC I had not given Lent a second thought. The churches I attended didn't talk about it. In years past I have tried to give up something but my follow through was sad. So, this year I was struggling to decide what I would do that would help me draw closer to God. I thought saying good bye to facebook would be it and then I read your post. (I know, Lent started 2 days ago...I'm a bit behind) I am going to memorize scripture! I cannot think of a better way to grow closer to God. Thanks for sharing your heart (:
ReplyDeletePS I love that you are blogging again!
Thanks, Marcey! I'm glad that you have found something that will draw you to God. We can encourage and challenge one another on this, okay? What are you starting with?
DeleteTo bad this year I'm not giving up something either, but rather kind of doing what you're doing. We have a daily "bible" study with my mom's group and I'm so bad at doing it! I think I've done it once in the three weeks we've been meeting. We're supposed to be following this online thing and it has us reading a chapter of the bible at a time. One, that's hard for me to do and two, it's doing the S.O.A.P. method, which I don't like doing. I need something with structure and guidance, something that gives me direction and makes me want to open my Bible. I hope you do well with yours!
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure I know the SOAP method, Tiffany. What is it? What book are you reading? I need the structure and guidance also.
Delete