Friday, April 29, 2011

Recipe: Chicken and Rice Casserole

I have no memories of eating rice growing up.  I'm pretty sure that I never ate it until Scott and I were married and he insisted on making Chicken Fried Rice (unless of course, it was during that first visit to Kansas with him to meet his family, and I convinced them that I did, in fact, like Chinese; they learned differently when I was still hungry an hour or two later!).  It's still not my favorite thing, as I can never predict how well it will turn out when I make it.  Sometimes it's dry, sometimes it's crunchy, sometimes it's mushy, and sometimes I get it just right.  But I seem to be able to get it right with this recipe, maybe because it cooks more in the casserole.  I don't know.  I just know that this is one of our favorite dinners!

Chicken and Rice Casserole

1 1/2 cup chicken, cooked, drained, and chopped or shredded (we prefer chopped)
1 1/2 cup raw rice, cooked
1 can cream of chicken soup (or cream of celery)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup celery diced
1/2 cup slivered almonds

After preparing the chicken and rice, combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Pour into greased 9 x 13 dish.  Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

I've started experimenting periodically with adding in extra veggies.  Mostly frozen broccoli or peas... we liked the peas, but I think the verdict is still out on the broccoli. 

I have no idea where this recipe came from, I usually mark my cards but there is no note of that on this one!

Homemaker blog hop

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this :)

    Blessings,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete