Friday, March 25, 2011

The Big Ultrasound

Well, yesterday was a big day in our household! We had an appointment with the perinatologist, Dr. Cowles, for an ultrasound to get measurements.


Everything measured well, and she was able to get a good look at the baby's heart, she was a little surprised at how well! She said they usually can't see much until the 22nd week, but baby was most cooperative in that area, mostly sleeping through the ultrasound, I think, even though I made sure I had my Pepsi just before that!


We discussed the plan for my pregnancy, that it will be closely monitored due to the Factor II mutation. I'll start having Biophysical Profile ultrasounds done every 4 weeks to check for proper growth, or restriction thereof. Growth restriction is an indicator of the placenta not fully functioning due to blood clots. I'm currently only on baby aspirin, and will not start Lovenox shots unless something occurs indicating the need for them. We are all hopeful that this will not be necessary!


In about the middle of the ultrasound, Dr. Cowles asked if we knew what we were having or if we wanted to know. We said we didn't know yet, but would like to if its possible. Baby was not so cooperative at first in this area, as the legs were crossed at the ankles and pulled up tight, but with some prodding, HE gave us a very clear view! Dr. Cowles said, "I'm thinking its a boy, lets try to get a better look." I looked at Scott and saw a grin from ear to ear! We are so excited, even two little girls who can't wait to dote and pick on and wrestle with their little brother! Bella and I are very ready to go shopping. Scott just wants to buy footballs and basketballs, but I don't think he'd be very happy to see his little boy dressed in pink. ha!


Now to come up with names. We briefly discussed boys names previously, but knowing both previous times that we were having a girl, we've never actually picked a boys name. When we talked a little earlier in the pregnancy, we decided we liked Jacob Edward, (Edward being Scott's Grandpa Snowbarger's middle name) but all you Twilight fans out there will know why we are not going to use that one! We would have Bella, Jacob, and Edward. I don't want people thinking we named our kids after the Twilight theme. I was looking at names last night again, and came across Emmett, which I also like, but again... Twilight cursed. So, we'll be on the hunt, and probably won't know until he is born, but if we do decide, we'll probably stick to our tradition and not tell names until then.

Oh, and for those of you who were wondering, I made them check early on to make sure there was only one baby in there! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment