Monday, January 5, 2009

Simplifying

My goal for this year is simplifying. Simplifying life, home, schedules, stuff. We started this by donating a tub full of toys to the church nursery. Isabella helped me, and she was okay with the idea since she will get to see the toys again in nursery. Our goal in this is to teach her she doesn't need lots of stuff, and in the process, reclaiming our dining room for it intended purpose. We'll be attempting to fill another tub this week.

Also, we joined the YMCA this year. We want to work out together and get the girls out some more. I plan on enrolling both girls in swimming lessons soon, also. Scott went this morning for his meeting with a wellness coach to learn the ins and outs of a workout for him. My appointment is Thursday. this will work well for us, I think, as we can all go together, and there is free childcare. We've been talking for a year about adding me to Scott's Cardinal Fitness membership, but it just didn't seem convenient to have to pay for childcare for that. If you are interested in joining the Y currently, they are running their "Pay the Day" program right now. Ordinarily, it would cost $100 to register a family, but the cost is the date of the day. We registered on January 1, so it cost us $1!! Awesome! Plus, their monthly membership fee is income based.

A personal goal of mine is to read one book of the Bible every month. Not just read it, but really focus on it. Memorize verses from it, and really understand it. I've tried the scheduled readings, the read it in 90 days stuff, and it just doesn't work for me. I need a no guilt approach. I will read at least one verse each day, at a minimum, but I hope to read more than that.

Scott is starting a fast today called Daniel's Fast. It is based on the diet of Daniel in the Old Testament, when he requested to be exempt from the King's food to avoid being defiled by eating non-Kosher food, though it has been adapted. Basically, Scott will be avoiding dairy, sugar, caffeine, processed foods, yeast, preservatives, white flour, artificial coloring and flavorings, additives, chemicals and dyes, among other things, for 40 days. You can learn more about this by searching for Daniel's Fast. I have found some recipes on-line also. We went grocery shopping on Saturday, and I've never spent so much more time reading labels than prices! I think what will be most challenging is that I am having pregnancy cravings for random things, and he will not be able to indulge them with me (that may also be most beneficial!)!

A few goals for this week: Make a few appointments: Bella - dentist, doctor; me - next ob appointment, maybe a hair appointment. Go to the YMCA at least twice. Find some recipes that Scott can eat! Fill another tub with things to get rid of. :)

1 comment:

  1. Simplifying sounds great! I've been slowly trying to do that since I got back from college. Some of it, I've given away, but I've really had to simplify just because my living space has dwindled enormously. Most of my stuff is in storage right now, but I'm learning to live with the basics.

    Scott's diet sounds pretty cool. Mom and Stephen are working on detoxing right now. And I'm just trying to watch my sugar intake.

    Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete