Thursday, September 18, 2008

What matters

Its been a good week, and its not over yet! We found out on Tuesday that Delia, Scott's mom, has the 'good' kind of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, and it is in the first stage. The medication she has been prescribed has been in use since 1995, and those patients have had no change in their diagnosis. So in about 3 weeks, she'll pretty much be feeling back to normal, back to work, and be on a medication for the rest of her life. She has had cancer now 3 times in 10 years, and each time, it has been caught in its earliest stages, and has always been the "if you are going to get cancer, this is the kind to have" sort.
We spent today doing some more landscaping. Almost done! We have mulch and plants to do down the side of the house; rock to lay in the back around the deck, and possibly, if there is enough mulch, mulch in the back corner. Today we pulled a lot of roots out, transplanted another small oak tree, and took out a bunch of pebbles that were around our deck. We are so blessed to have such wonderful girls. They both played so well today while we were working! Bella loves her swing set. If only someone could push her on that swing all the time! And they both had so much fun playing in the water table!
Earlier this week, we had someone come out and look at our oven. I found Dobbs' Handyman Service on Craigslist. We found that it needs a new hot surface ignitor. Due to the cost of the repair and the age of the range, we decided to fore go the repair, and are on the lookout for a newer range. We found an ad on Craigslist for a whole set of appliances, all fairly new, for an amazing price. Unfortunately, they are no longer for sale, but may be available again next week. Since we are busy this weekend, we can wait. Its worth it, believe me! Anyhow, we are on the look out for a new gas range!
I have been catching up on laundry this week. I have not achieved my goal of getting out my sewing machine. That will come. Like I told someone earlier this week, sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach in terms of my goals for the week! My room is still a mess (though its smaller), I haven't touched the front bedroom this week, and I never got around to the price list. BUT, I spent time with my babies this week, and prepared for our first MOPS meeting. We have 16 moms registered, and I'm hoping to add 4 more before this year. I'm not interested in numbers, but I can think of at least 4 offhand that could and should be involved with something for themselves as women. Its an awesome experience where you can be yourself and be known for who you are, not as mom or wife, but as friend. Anyhow, I accomplished what was important this week, and that is what matters.
Tomorrow, I'll be attending the first MOPS meeting of the year, and then heading to Olivet. I'm so excited to see an old friend again! And to see some other friends, plus my sister, who is a freshman this year! It will be a good weekend! How about yours?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amanda, I hope you're having fun AND keeping track of "everything"! xo rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have had a good week. And, Praise God for your mother-in-law. To have cancer three times and still be able to live a 'normal' life is awesome. He definitely has plans for her!

    My week...Well, I don't remember most of it, lol. I washed dishes for two hours last night and dried them all and got them back into their specified locations. Wiped down the counter and the sinks. Tonight it's a bleach soak for the sinks, lol.

    Also did a little work in the living room. Can't tell because it needs done again, lol. But, at least it's not as bad as it originally was. Just need to stick with it and work every day doing a little at a time. Yuck, lol.

    Want to share some of your energy with me? Man, I got tired just reading about the stuff you did outside, lol. But, it's awesome that your kiddos played so well so you could get things done. Wish I could say the same for mine, lol.

    Hope you're enjoying your weekend. :) See you at church.

    ReplyDelete