Friday, March 16, 2012

Making My List and Checking It Twice

Hey Ya'll!  We've been having some quite unusually warm, summer-like weather for March here in Kansas, and since it coincided with spring break, we have been thoroughly enjoying it.  And panicking about clothing, but enjoying it none the less.

The weather got me thinking about Bella's.... issue... (you can read about that here, here, and here), and thinking it's time to do something about it.... again. 

I've tried before to get her moving, but various things we've tried have not worked, or if they do, work too well, if you get my drift.  And with swimming pool season upcoming, I don't want her to be worried or embarrassed by the.... situation. 

I'm looking for natural answers here, so I'm thinking about taking her to the chiropractor soon, but first changing up her diet.

We're talking major changes, and she may quite possibly starve, if she continues to be so stubborn.  (I promise she'll be okay, believe me, the kid will eat when she gets hungry enough).

I made am working on my shopping list, and here's what it looks like:

I purposely split my list this way (categories:  meat, fresh, frozen, canned, dairy, and processed) so that I can be aware of how much of each I'm purchasing, and keep processed and dairy to a minimum.  New strategy.  I'll let you know how I like it.  

I'm still looking for breakfast solutions.  I'm trying to limit her grains as much as possible, which will be difficult for a girl who lives on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, grilled cheese, granola bars, waffles, and pop tarts.  

This is going to be quite the change.  Maybe it will even make her like her sister more.  he he.  They get along really well, actually, except when they don't, and Bella gets moody.  Sometimes I think she is 6 going on 16 with that attitude she likes to give us previews of...  

I digress.  We've been eating a lot more healthy since we started watching the budget more closely.  Scott has lost weight, I've managed to not gain what I lost when I was sick.  But we still have work to do.  We'll see how this week goes.  Wish me luck!  

What are your kids' favorite meals?  What do they eat for breakfast? 

2 comments:

  1. I will preface my comment by saying that I was blessed with a natural born good eater. I don't take credit for it!

    Favorite breakfasts:
    -scrambled eggs with cheese and buttered toast
    -oatmeal (not instant) with brown sugar, milk and frozen blueberries
    -unsweetened cereal (Cheerios, Chex)and milk
    -"hens in a nest" topped with cheese (similar to this: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Eggs-in-a-Basket)
    -pancakes with blueberries or chocolate chips

    Here's another favorite healthy snack or breakfast:
    Blend frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, wheat germ, frozen kale, (I wash and mince it before putting it in the freezer- you can't taste it!), kefir or yogurt, and fruit juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! I'll have to give some of these a try. I'm sure it will take multiple times of seeing us eat it first, though. She just decided 1.5 years ago that she liked spaghetti!

      Delete