Please see the bottom of the post to find some links that may be helpful to you!
Many of you have been wondering what's going on in the results of our medical testing. I recently met with a Hematologist to discuss a diagnosis. I have a genetic disorder called Factor II Mutation, or Prothrombin. Basically, my body makes too much of a protein called thrombin, which causes one's blood to clot. While this was not an issue with my most recent pregnancy and miscarriage, it's possible that it could have caused the previous two miscarriages, though we'll never be able to know.
The issue is that if the blood is not flowing smoothly enough, it can deprive the baby of vital oxygen and nutrients needed to grow and develop. The solution is to use blood thinners throughout the pregnancy and six weeks after. This is where it gets complicated for me. I'm not considered low risk because I've had three miscarriages, but I'm not high risk because this has not been the proven cause, as far as we know. I'm in the grey area. Low risk situations would call for a regimen of baby aspirin daily throughout the pregnancy. I'll also be doing this as a precaution throughout my reproductive years, and possibly beyond. High risk situations administer a shot of Lovenox to ones' stomach daily. I am in the middle, and therefore, the decision is being left up to us.
This is a difficult decision for me, personally. I HATE shots. My mom could tell stories of herself, a nurse, and a doctor holding me down for a vaccine. But I would do anything to save the life of my baby. So, I'm facing the reality of giving myself a shot in the stomach everyday for up to 11 months. Being selfish, I want to do the baby aspirin; but I also know that if I lose a baby due to not taking the aggressive route of Lovenox, I would blame myself, be that right or wrong.
Initially for me, there was no question that I would do the Lovenox, and I guess that there probably still isn't. I just scared myself by searching the Internet and coming across a YouTube video of a woman giving herself the shot during IVF treatments. It freaked me out! But I know that I will do this. The Lord will give me the strength, and if I feel that this is where I am being led, I will have perfect peace.
I have, as I mentioned, been scavenging the Internet searching for information about this diagnosis as related to pregnancy. Aside from pregnancy, its been found that many people travel through life not having any idea that they have this genetic mutation. Its been diagnosed in less than 10% of the population. Most women my age learn that they have this because they have had multiple miscarriages, or they have developed a blood clot while on hormones, or 'the Pill.' Birth control can cause blood clots, so if you are already predisposed to this, your risk is doubled or higher. (That is another post for tomorrow!)
As far as pregnancy, there isn't a lot that I could find in layman terms. Most of my search has landed me in different forums of discussion among women who are pregnant or trying to conceive with Factor II Mutation. Some are on Lovenox AND baby aspirin, on heparin, just baby aspirin, or a combination of vitamins and supplements. Each situation, obviously, is different. Some have other complications piled on top. It's hard to learn much without being confused about something else! Mostly, I hear that someone has Factor V or Leiden (I think!), which is more common. Some are on blood thinners until 6 weeks after delivery, some come off at 36 weeks for delivery, and then go back on. My search has really only brought up more questions, and I plan to contact the Hematologist to discuss these questions.
I'm thankful that we are learning these things, and that there are possible medical answers. I only wish we had started five years ago. Hind site is 20/20, right?! Above all of this, though, I struggle with being overconfident in the diagnosis. The human side of me wants this to be the answer, but I know that this could not have saved my baby girl. Her issue was extra chromosomes. I'm constantly reminding myself that trusting in God and leaning on Jesus are the best answers to anything! I don't have to be comfortable, just content and growing in my relationship with Him.
UPDATE: I have since found some helpful websites for information... I found support at Babycenter's forum group called Lovely Lovenox Ladies, as well as the following: Clot Connect and CNN. I'll add to the list as I find others.
:hugs: Oh Amanda, I'm so sorry you are going through this. May the peace of Christ move through your life and give you joy.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who is having the same decision to make. Her dr said she would have to do the shots everyday also. They are pursueing adoption!
ReplyDeleteMiss you Amanda. I hope you are doing well.
You are a strong woman and I know you will make the right decision and find peace along the way. However, if you would have known this 5 years ago, you probably wouldn't have your Bella or Bianca. =) Love you!!
ReplyDeleteHi
ReplyDeleteI just ran across your blog while looking up Factor II. I have it as well..but I wanted to assure you about giving yourself the Lovenox shots. I did it every day for 3 weeks in the stomach. I am a BIG SCARDY CAT!! I know it sounds awful and the idea is very scarry. But I give you my word it isn't...the first time you do it...you'll probably say "ouch." But you've had worse......after that it really becomes no more than like a mesquito bite...it is a very small needle and it goes into the fat of your stomach.
I wish you the very best...I too had the miscarriages..
Thank you all for your support during these times! For anyone wondering, I am now 24 weeks pregnant, and just doing aspirin daily. I am seeing a perinatologist who is watching for growth restriction, as this would indicate blood clots in the placenta. So far, so good!
ReplyDeleteLove it, what a great site! I will be sure to come back and visit! If you get a chance check out AUGUST 2011 BLOG HOP over at www.reasonablyless we would love for you to link up!
ReplyDeleteRachel
www.reasonablyless.com
“Mommy freebies, coupons and Advice on using coupons”
I have a question, I have heard the lovenox shots are to be given in the stomach, by more than one source but my Daughter who just lost her baby at 23 weeks was told it's ok to give the shots in the upper thigh. I always felt this was incorrect information or more women would be doing it that way. Could this have been the cause of her loss?
ReplyDeleteI too have this mutation as does my daughter thankfully she was diagnoses shortly after me and before having her first baby so she was treated and was monitored closely during her pregnancy and she now has a beautiful baby girl. I had a stroke when I was 30 that was caused by having this mutation, unfortunately at that time nobody knew I had it and it was only when they were trying to find out why that it was discovered. I have just had a second round of spinal surgery and have had to have Lovenox 4000 injections each day for 6 weeks both times (usually I take aspirin daily). I hate injections but thankfully they do not hurt in the stomach, I don't feel them at all, however when they were giving them in my thigh I really did feel them. For me the stomach is the best place. It's not where they are given but having them that is important. Good luck
ReplyDelete