Monday, June 6, 2011

Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker (Book Review)

I had the privilege to review Lorilee Craker's Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving.  This is a 220 page paperback book which has a suggested retail price of $15.99.  Lorilee Craker is the author of eleven books, including The Wide-Eyed Wonder Years:  A Mommy Guide to Preschool Daze, We Should Do This More Often: A Parents Guide to Romance, Passion, and Other Pre-Child Activities You Vaguely Recall, and Date Night in A Minivan:  Revving Up Your Marriage After Kids Arrive.  

Impacted by the economic downturn, Lorilee Craker tuned in to an NPR broadcast that stated the Amish had successfully, as a subculture, emerged from a year of financial mess in the United States.  As a journalist, she decided to research what and how the Amish managed to do so, without, it seems, changing their ways and traditions they have held for so many years.  Her research, as well as some interesting and surprising stories, is found in this book.

I enjoyed reading this book.  I wasn't sure at first sight how it was going to go, but, as I have found with all of her books I have read, Craker kept it light and entertaining, making it an easy read.  Her research into how the Amish have survived the economic downturn so well is woven in through stories from her meetings with the Amish, as well as her own experiments with the findings of her research.

As one who has always lived on a tight budget, I did not find many new ideas for saving money.  However, I still enjoyed the reading, and learned much about the reasons behind why the Amish live the way they do.  The book serves as a good reminder of simple ways to conserve money and enjoy what we have and the life we live.  It also includes many tips and tricks of reusing, recycling, and repurposing.  The Amish live a 'green' life amidst all of their ways and traditions. Craker does a good job of listening to how the Amish save money, and then incorporating it into the 'English' world. 

Altogether, if you are looking for some great reminders of ways to save money and tighten the belt at home, this is a great book. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Booksneeze book reviewers blog program for the purpose of writing an honest review.  I received no other compensation. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment