Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Through the eyes of the little one...

Last night we had to go to Walmart to get some things, and discovered that their back to school items are on sale!! The teacher in me cannot resist a back to school sale, so of course we had to roam the aisles, and ended up getting Bella some new art supplies. She was so excited to get colored pencils, markers, crayons, a ruler, scissors, glue sticks, flashcards, construction paper, and a preschool workbook!! When we got home, she was ripping the boxes open (literally) before I even had everything inside! She got straight to work using them too....
First, I find the flashcards strewn across the floor, and her using scissors on one of them. That's why we bought them, right?! So we have a little talk about how we only use scissors on the construction paper that Mommy gives her. I think she understood that well enough.
So we headed into the kitchen to do her artwork at the table. I carried almost everything in for her and put it on the table. I turned around to find Bella applying glue stick to her lips like lip balm (the girl LOVES her lip gloss!). I think I kind of scared or embarrassed her, because she got that look.
I never thought about what she might do with these items, considering that she has never used them! I just assumed that she would know when I said glue stick, that it went on paper! Oh the lessons of motherhood, from small to large! I realized that this whole 'school supplies' thing was only exciting to her (well, aside from the new coloring things) because it was so exciting to me. She had no idea what to do with these things, and she set out to figure them out. Let's see, I got new cards, and scissors, so I'll use them together. And this thing, it looks like lip gloss/chap stick, so it must go on my lips. If she had been left to her own devices, she would have had hair glued to her lips!
Sometimes I think this must be what we look like to God. We get excited because its something that is good, but we don't stop to think and ask what God has planned for these things, or what their proper use is, and we find ourselves in a big mess, embarrassed and scared. We assume that we know what to do with them, and sometimes what we plan is good, but what if God had something bigger and better planned for them? What if we stopped to ask God what He wants to do with our days, hours, minutes, talents, etc?
Are you taking time to stop and listen to the direction from God?

3 comments:

  1. I feel a similar excitement when I get ahold of new cardstock, patterned paper, glitter glue, buttons, ribbons, and stamps! It means I get to create something FUN!
    Continue to fuel Bella's creative spirit. The world can only benefit from such enthusiasm!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. It's amazing to me how God use our children to teach us about our relationship with Him.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun adventure. I LOVE school supplies, and the neat thoughts you had about God, just brings it right to the point! xorachel

    ReplyDelete